A Reflection On Congruence: Head-to-Heart

Authored by: Jaymi Thomas | Graduate Assistant, Office of Student Leadership Development, Student Leadership Programs

E.E. Cummings wrote “To be nobody-but-yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody but yourself–means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight– and never stop fighting.” This quote made me think about the second C in the Social Change Model: congruence. Congruence is one of my favorite aspects of the Social Change Model. It’s all about connecting what you’re thinking and feeling,embracing authenticity and honesty toward others.

As someone who will admit to experiencing all the feels, quite often, I am always up for conversations and learning more about emotional intelligence. Congruence and aligning one’s values, beliefs, and strengths are essential parts of my leadership journey. Some of the ways that I attempt to practice congruence are reflecting and talking to mentors to learn more about the ways they mindfully practice authenticity.

Congruence is recognizing that your inner and outer self can be more similar than they are different. As I grow in the student affairs profession and work to identify the leadership qualities I want to embrace, one goal I have is to practice congruence and lead in an authentic way- in other words, to align my head, heart, hands, and feet.

This series also serves as a lead up to “Elevating Change: William & Mary Celebrates 20 Years of the Social Change Model.”  This event is a conference for student leaders who are interested in learning how to be more effective leaders and how to cultivate impactful change for the organizations and causes they care most about.  We hope you will join us for the conference on November 12th!  Please visit our website to learn more about the conference: http://www.wm.edu/offices/studentleadershipdevelopment/leadershipconference/index.php