#NoTitleNeeded Through History

This blog post by Joe Wheeless, Coordinator: Fraternity/Sorority Life, is written from the perspective of Benjamin Stoddard Ewell, 16th President of the College of William and Mary and is not meant as an actual letter.  Benjamin Ewell dedicated his life to the survival of William and Mary during the 19th Century. As you reflect on these words, ask yourself how this relates to the concept where one does not need a title to practice leadership.

Ewell Blog Picture

Benjamin Stoddard Ewell

Dear Mr. Grigsby,

As our long tenure of friendship continues, I must write you of personal reflections in this time where our beloved College is without students.  Each morn I embark on a short venture with Gardiner to the Main Building and President’s house.  The matter of my venture is to see the condition of the buildings, greet passersby, and engage in correspondence.

As the Royal Charter states, the College Bell is rung abundantly to remind the citizens of Williamsburg their beloved students will return.  Overheard from citizens about Duke of Gloucester this has given me the reputation as a ‘bell-ringer,’ as the same of the celebrated ‘Swiss bell-ringers.’ I occasionally enjoy a laugh at this comparison but do not engage in contradiction of this metaphor.

My true intent with these daily visits to the College is tied to keeping the spirit of this majestic spot on this earth and in our hearts alive. I would take on the accounts even in denial of my position bestowed upon me but in support of my eternal love for the College. Alas, many responding letters are filled with wishes of hope and luck in my success for the College to return.  For as long as I walk this earth, my love for William and Mary will not falter.  And it is forever my dream to see her return to the prominence of which she deserves.

Benj. S. Ewell

Heuvel, Sean M., and Heuvel, Lisa L., College of William and Mary in the Civil War. Jefferson, NC, USA: McFarland & Company, 2013. ProQuest ebary. Web. 31 October 2014.

26 thoughts on “#NoTitleNeeded Through History

1. An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a co-worker who had been conducting a little research on this.
    And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him…
    lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thanks for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanks for spending time to talk about this issue here on your website.

2. Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting
    to know your situation; we have created some nice methods and we are looking to exchange solutions with other folks, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.

3. First off I would like to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if
    you don’t mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind prior to writing.
    I have had a difficult time clearing my mind in getting my
    thoughts out. I do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10
    to 15 minutes are usually lost simply just trying to
    figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Thank you!

4. I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s equally educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the
    nail on the head. The issue is something too few men and women are speaking intelligently about.

5. When someone writes an paragraph he/she maintains the plan of a user in his/her
    mind that how a user can know it. Therefore that’s why this
    piece of writing is great. Thanks!

6. After exploring a handful of the blog posts on your
    website, I really like your way of writing a blog.
    I added it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back in the
    near future. Please check out my website as well and tell me
    how you feel.

7. A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I believe that you ought to publish more about this topic, it might not be a taboo
    matter but usually people do not talk about these subjects.

To the next! All the best!!

8. Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative.

I’m gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future.
    A lot of people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

9. Whats up are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own. Do
    you require any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

10. Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it
    was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had
    written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
    Do you have any suggestions for first-time blog writers?
    I’d genuinely appreciate it.

11. I like the valuable information you supply for your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your weblog and take a look at once more here
    frequently. I’m somewhat sure I’ll be informed many new stuff right right here!

Good luck for the following!

12. Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying
    your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m
    still new to the whole thing. Do you have any suggestions
    for inexperienced blog writers? I’d certainly appreciate it.

13. I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s equally educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the
    I’m very happy that I came across this during my hunt for something regarding this.

14. Wow, marvelous blog layout! Ηow ⅼong have you Ƅeen blogging for?
    you make blogging looҝ easy. Tɦe oѵerall looҝ of уour web
    site іs great, ɑs well as the cоntent!